If your home’s heating and cooling system needs routine maintenance, repairs, or needs to be replaced, you will need to find a qualified, licensed HVAC contractor. Unfortunately, the process is more complicated and daunting than you may think. Hiring a qualified individual is essential because you don’t want to take a chance with your family’s comfort. To be sure that you are choosing the right person for the job, there are a few tips that you should follow.
Do Your Research
Online research can go a long way when it comes to finding great HVAC contractors and weeding out the subpar companies. Many HVAC company websites contain the services that they provide, as well as customer reviews. There are also websites that can give you a listing of the contractors near you, along with the services they provide, their contact information, and customer reviews. Air Conditioning Contractors of America is an organization that allows you to search for HVAC contractors near you, as well a letter grade based on reviews and complaints. The letter grades go from A+ to F.
You certainly aren’t the first person to experience issues with your heating and air conditioning system. If you need to find a heating contractor, you should ask your friends, family members, neighbors, or co-workers for a referral. You can ask them who they use for their heating and air conditioning needs, and what they think of them. If a heating and cooling contractor does an excellent job for someone you know, chances are they will also do a great job for you.
Merely looking at the number of stars that a company gets isn’t enough to tell you what you need. It is essential that you read the comments left by customers so that you can make sure that they have a good reputation for quality work, value, and customer service. There are a few things that you should look for in the comments such as:
- Was the contractor able to repair the problem?
- Did the contractor provide precise details of the issue to the homeowner?
- Did the customer resolve the disputes in a timely, cost-effective, and respectful manner?
When you read reviews, you will be able to get some insight into the company that you are considering so that you can make the best decision possible.
What To Look For In An HVAC Contractor?
It is best to work with an HVAC contractor that is licensed, bonded, and insured. This is information that you can find online. After scheduling a service appointment, there are a few things that you should pay attention to.
• Communication: Leading up to the appointment, has the tech or dispatcher stayed in contact with you via email, text, or phone? Did they communicate scheduled changes as soon as they came up?
• Punctuality: Did the tech arrive within the time window you were given?
• Appearance: Did the tech arrive looking ready to work? Were they wearing a dealer uniform?
• Certification: Many heating and cooling techs are certified through organizations for HVAC excellence, and they often display the patch on their uniform. Does your tech have any association patches?
• Patience: Does the tech listen to your concerns? Did they take the time to explain what they found? Were they willing to answer any questions that you may have had?
• Thoroughness: Depending on the reason you had a tech in your home, were they thorough? Did your tech give your furnaces or HVAC system a complete inspection, or did they just do a quick once over? Did your tech go over any results that they found concerning?
• Documentation: Did the tech provide written documentation of everything that they did or everything that they need to do?
A good, qualified technician will be professional, pleasant, knowledgeable, courteous, patient, and willing to answer your questions. Don’t forget; they are a service company. It is their job to serve you to the best of their ability. If you aren’t happy with something, you should speak up. You are paying them so they should be willing to fix what you need them to fix.
Value and Service Expectations
If you need to have a new heating and cooling system installed, or if you need to have yours replaced, the person you choose to do the job should be a licensed furnace repair Coquitlam technician. They should also provide a warranty on the product as well as their work. It is essential that the job is done right the first time, which will eliminate the need for repeated visits.
Many HVAC service companies offer maintenance agreements. These agreements provide regular maintenance of your HVAC system and the equipment. Because regular maintenance is essential for the longevity of your HVAC system, these agreements are worthwhile.
Manufacturer Dealer Locator
Most HVAC manufacturers provide tools for homeowners to find an independent dealer. Licensed contractors offer a focused, flexible, and information method for maintaining, repairing, and installing your heating and cooling system.